Taming the Savage Breast

"The future is not some place we are going, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made. And the activity of making them changes both the maker and their destination."
John Schaar

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Hair Loss

And, so, it has begun. I noticed it last night.

I was plucking some facial hair... you know the kind. We all have it... that super long, fine hair that appears out of nowhere on a chin or cheek that just shouldn't be there. You pluck it and then you don't see it again for months. But when it does reappear, it seems to grow an inch overnight!

When I plucked said hair, I noticed that it slid right out with no pain. Hmmm. I figured this was a sign of hair loss, so I slid my hand through my hair and one of my gray hairs came out without me feeling it at all. And this is particularly strange because (a) I don't have many gray hairs, and (b) the few times I've plucked them,* they always hurt.

*I hate the idea of plucking my gray hairs and I generally don't do it. I worked hard for those gray hairs... I'm not going to pluck them!! However, I did have a hairstylist (once)—to whom I never returned—that plucked three gray hairs from my head... without even asking.

So, then I tried an experiment and pinched a little bit of hair between my fingers and pulled. I felt the pain of plucking a couple of hairs, but when I looked at my hand, I was holding several more than a couple of hairs. At first it startled it me, just because I was holding more hair than I felt get pulled. (That was weird, let me tell you.) But, then I remembered that this is supposed to happen, and I got over it.

This morning, I didn't wake up to a bunch of hair on my pillow, but when I was styling my hair, a lot more hair than usual ended up in my brush and on the counter. Now, I don't wash my hair every day because it dries it out too much, so I didn't wash my hair today. However, it should be interesting when I wash my hair tomorrow. I'm going to have to put a drain catcher in so I don't clog my shower drain!! I mean, it's bad enough keeping that drain clear when I'm not losing hair.

So, look for a new bald me within the next week. I'm going to give it a few days to see how much hair I start losing at once. But when it starts really thinning out, I will definitely be getting shaved.

I've been planning to start posting video to this site. I'll record getting my head shaved and make that my first post! Stay tuned to my blog for more details.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bald is beautiful! :)

P.S. I've got clippers and YEARS of experience using them...

12:53 PM  
Blogger Tonua said...

Absolutely! Some of my best friends are bald. ;)

1:16 PM  
Blogger Carlita said...

Well, I guess if you're going to do it, record it, and learn from it - you might as well go all the way! Besides it's going to come back in dark and stronger than ever before... right? And maybe even curly...

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter