Taming the Savage Breast

"The future is not some place we are going, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made. And the activity of making them changes both the maker and their destination."
John Schaar

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

IBC in the News

IBC is finally getting some attention. A friend forwarded this video to me that appeared on a Seattle news show about inflammatory breast cancer.
Watch Video
I have to admit that it was a little difficult for me to watch this. One of the things that I've purposely avoided since being diagnosed is listening to or reading about people's experiences with ibc that didn't lead to recovery. You see, part of keeping my positive attitude is not allowing myself to focus on death as a possible outcome.

I truly believe I'm going to survive this. I'm breezing through chemo (in comparison to others) and the cancer hasn't spread anywhere outside my breast... these are all good signs. I feel that my story isn't the one that someone else tells on my behalf... my story is the one that I tell when I survive this. And this isn't something I say to make myself feel better, this is something that I believe is true.

Earlier this year, I went through a personal and spiritual exercise to find guidance about what this year would be about for me. The phrase "storytelling" was the result. I don't think it's any coincidence that I now have a giant story to tell. And, I'm the storyteller. That's why I'm doing the documentary.

After seeing this news cast, I want to contact the reporter to tell her what I'm doing and see if she might be able to help with resources, or if I can use part of her news cast in my documentary. I think it would be amazing to get some of the women that were included in her news cast to share their story with me. I'll let you know what happens. In the meantime, let this news cast be a reminder that more people need to know about ibc. Please share the news story and please share mine. Women of all ages need to know that breast cancer isn't all lumps.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched the video and then I copy and pasted it in an e-mail and sent it to every woman in my address book. Thanks for providing something women need to know.

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter