Taming the Savage Breast

"The future is not some place we are going, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made. And the activity of making them changes both the maker and their destination."
John Schaar

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Surgery

The time has come to start thinking about surgery. It's still a couple of months away, but I'll be having a consultation with the plastic surgeon who will be doing the reconstruction next week.

I have to admit that I'm feeling a little anxious about surgery. I've never undergone any kind of major surgery before. I have no idea what it's like to be anesthetized. The surgery is supposed to be long... on the order of about 10 hours. The hardest part about the surgery, or so I understand, is the reconstructive part.

Right now, some of the nervousness is due to knowing nothing about it. I feel better when I know something about what I'm facing. I know it's all the "fear of the unknown" and such, but it doesn't really help knowing that. The fact is, I still don't know anything about it. But next week, I'll have a conversation with the surgery. I have questions for him, just like I did my oncologist. And when I walk out of his office, I will be armed with knowledge. For me, knowledge makes things better. Knowing, even if it's hard to face, is a whole lot less scary than not knowing.

Tomorrow, I go to my 5th chemo session, and my first session with Taxol. I'm halfway through... halfway through chemo, that is. After chemo comes surgergy. And the the other stuff that I'm nervous about... recovery. I'm not nervous about recovery, per se... I'm just nervous about how difficult it's going to be and how long it's going to take. I know just enough about the recovery phase to be dangerous. I won't write about it until I know more.

I am going to tell you all now that I don't want to go through that alone. After I know more about how long I'll be in the hospital after surgery, and what I need at home after surgery, I'm really going to be calling on my friends. I'm hoping Cathy will be able to be here for part of it, but I know that I'm going to want my family near for this. And when I say "family," I'm including all of you who have been my family throughout the years, even though we have never been related. You have been so supportive of my through this, and I'm definitely going to need that support a little bit longer.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like you, I have learned the value of family over the years. I am glad you have a large one to support and encourage you. Can I be the bratty younger sister? ;-)

PB

8:50 PM  
Blogger Tonua said...

Of course... as long as you don't steal my Barbie dolls and color on my term paper. :)

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, the surgery is now worse than what you have already been through. Trust me! Deb

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops... too early in the morning. I MEANT to say it is NO worse than what you have been through and the drugs are great for recovery.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Carlita said...

I'm back in town, healed from a bronchial infection, and up to date on your blog. Keep me posted on the dates of your surgery! You are in my thoughts and healing prayers!

Sending you the light of my love - XO, Carla

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter