Taming the Savage Breast

"The future is not some place we are going, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made. And the activity of making them changes both the maker and their destination."
John Schaar

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Port in the Storm

Okay, so the storm is over. I feel great today. However, I am still getting a port put in today. What is the port of which I speak, you ask?

When they give me chemo directly as an IV, it travels through some smaller veins to get to the larger veins that will carry it through my system. Because chemotheraphy is toxic, it can do damage to these smaller veins. A port bypasses these smaller veins in order to avoid the damage.

Because I could receive treatment in both arms, I had originally decided to forego getting a port. However, when I attended the support group a few weeks ago, everyone there recommended getting a port. ..regardless of whether they had one or not. I don't want my veins damaged, so I've decided to follow their experienced advice.

The port I will receive today will be placed in my arm with a very small incision. It is completely hidden under the skin, so unless I point out the incision scar, no one will even know it's there. This is outpatient surgery, so it should be rather minor. I'll admit that it makes me a little nervous when they cut me open... even for a small incision. But, I think that I will be glad I did this if it means I won't destroy my veins.

I'm also feeling back to normal this morning, which is perfect timing. I can't eat or drink anything before the surgery. Yesterday, this would have left me feeling queasy. This morning, I feel just fine. I'll post a photo of the port after it's in. But, now it's time to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter