Taming the Savage Breast

"The future is not some place we are going, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made. And the activity of making them changes both the maker and their destination."
John Schaar

Monday, October 02, 2006

Monday Update

I've only been doing radiation for about a week and a half, but I feel like an old pro.

It's super easy. I show up a few minutes before my appointment, so I almost always go straight in without having to wait for more than 5 minutes or so. I've gotten there late a couple of times, and I'm trying really hard not to do that because it's rude for the people who are scheduled after me. This morning, I got there just as the woman with the appointment before me was going in. That's the perfect timing.

Once you go in, it only takes about 10-15 minutes. You lay down on the table using the foam pillow they customize for you (so you are always in exactly the same position. They spend a couple of minutes adjusting you and the machine, then it only takes a few more minutes.

I've been bringing my iPod in and listening to music, which is nice. I'm only laying there for about 10 minutes, but it's kind of nice to just lose myself in the music. A couple of times, I've thought about listening to my Dane Cook CD (which is on my iPod), but it seems dangerous as it often makes me laugh really hard. And, since I don't want to move, I figure I should stick to music.

Today, I had my weekly appointment with my doctor. My skin isn't showing any signs of irritation yet, but he expects that it might start by my next appointment with him next Monday.

They also weigh me every Monday, and I've gained two pounds. Curse that Ben and Jerry! Actually, I've been eating way too much stuff lately that's not good for me (can you say "Everything But The"?) and not enough stuff that is good for me (darn it, I let the asparagus go bad again). Not that I care about two pounds, because I so don't. But I do care that I haven't been eating well, so I'm trying to get my eating habits back to where they were after I was first diagnosed.

Have a great week!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely understand about the eating.. I've been guiltily of that myself lately. Whereas you can lose yourself in music.. I can lose myself in a pint of B&J's "Chunky Monkey".
It is good to hear that the side effects have not appeared. Sending positive vibes your way to keep them at bay. - Jon Newsom

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter