Taming the Savage Breast

"The future is not some place we are going, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made. And the activity of making them changes both the maker and their destination."
John Schaar

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Post-Surgery Gifts that Rock

In the days that followed my surgery, my friends did a lot of great things for me that really helped me through my recovery. I thought I would include some of these things in my blog to help the loved ones of others recovering from this type of surgery.

Food
One of my friends (Pushpinder) organized meals for me throughout the first week after I was released from the hospital. Each day, someone would bring me lunch and someone else would bring me dinner. Pushpinder asked me about my likes and dislikes and also asked me if there was any special diet that I needed to be concerned with. Then, she contacted my friends and let each person sign up for a different meal. When they brought me food, they also made sure they brought plenty of leftovers. In fact, I had enough leftovers to carry me through the entire second week following my recovery. This gift not only ensured that I didn't have to try and cook for myself during a time when it would have been challenging for me, but it also ensured that I had at least two visitors every day.

Books
I love to read, so a number of my friends brought me books they knew I wanted to read or thought I would enjoy. Some of the books were purchased as gifts and others were just loaned to me. Either way, I had plenty of good reading material to keep me entertained throughout my recovery.

DVDs
Prior to my surgery, my friend Chris had recommended The West Wing to me, but I hadn't had a chance to watch it yet. So, when I mentioned that it would be great to have a high-quality TV series to watch during recovery, he brought me his DVDs of The West Wing. (I'm in the middle of season 5 now.) This was a great way to spend my time. Knowing that I enjoy Bollywood films, my friend Pushpinder also brought me several of her favorites. Throughout my recovery, I watched The West Wing and Bollywood films. It was a great way to spend my time. I never got bored.

Cleaning Service
When I returned to work yesterday, several of my co-workers had chipped in and purchased 10 hours of a cleaning service for me. This is something that I never would have thought of for myself, but it is an incredibly thoughtful gift that is greatly appreciated. Even though I'm starting to regain my range of motion, it is still going to be difficult for me to clean for a while. I figured I would do surface cleaning for a few weeks until I can actually clean. But, now, I can use this service to get me through it. Actually, I might get used to it and just keep it after my 10 hours run out!

Back Scratcher
I actually didn't receive this gift, but with my limited range of motion the first couple of weeks after surgery, I sure could have used one!

Visits
One of the things I appreciated the most was when people would stop by to see me. I live alone, so it was really nice to have visitors throughout my recovery. That helped to keep my spirits up. Also, I could ask my visitors to do things for me that I wasn't able to do myself. Some of the things my visitors helped out with:
  • Took out the garbage
  • Cleaned up my kitchen
  • Cleaned my cat's litter box
  • Checked my mail
Ask How You Can Help
I had several friends that called to check in on me on a fairly regular basis. Each time they called, they asked if there was anything they could do for me. Sometimes there was and sometimes there wasn't. But, it really meant a lot to me that my friends were there offering. It's no fun to feel helpless and have to depend on others for everything, even if it's just temporary. But, having my friends offer without my having to ask made dealing with that a lot easier. Here are some of things that my friends helped with:
  • Went to the grocery store
  • Drove me to doctor appointments
  • Fixed my bathroom toilet
  • Emptied my drainage cups when it was still hard for me to do
  • Stayed overnight with me
Thanks, everyone, for everything! I love you all. :)

Updated 8/29/2006: I just want to add that the love and support I got from my family was also a gift. Even though they couldn't be here physically for most of it, they've been here when they can. And when they can't, they've provided me with a ton of encouragement, love, support and prayers. And that too was a gift. So this thanks is for my family. I love you all very much.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are putting it all together. You are so lucky to have so many friends. and I know if your family were closer, they would have bombarded you with whatever was needed. Your sisters, especially. I'm sure even their mother would have been there for you. Speedy recovery to you. Prayers are all with you.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter