Taming the Savage Breast

"The future is not some place we are going, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made. And the activity of making them changes both the maker and their destination."
John Schaar

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

No More Cups!

I got my drainage cups taken out today, and I couldn't be more relieved!

I was a little worried about having those cups removed. I mean, I wanted them gone, but I was afraid the removal process would hurt. In fact, I was so concerned about it that I took a Vicodin and two Motrin before I left for my appointment.

When I got there, he removed my bandages and stitches first. He didn't remove the bandages on the left side. Those are on with steri-strips, and will eventually loosen and come off themselves. But everything else was stitches and tape.

When it came time to remove the cups, I asked if there was any sort of topical anesthetic he could give me, but he said that doesn't really do anything. He took the two cups out of my right side out at the same time. He did it fast like removing a band-aid, and it was quite shocking. But, fortunately, it was not painful. There was a half-a-second of pain, but by the time it registered, it was already gone. And the amount pain was also comparable to ripping off a band-aid, so it wasn't bad at all.

When he did the other side, I felt him jiggle the tube, and then he said, "All right, are you ready?" I was braced and ready, but he had already removed it. As it turns out, my doctor has a sense of humor. Actually, he was great and made the process much easer.

The removal was quick and, but for a mere moment, painless. Lori was there and caught the entire thing on video, so that should make for an interesting moment in the documentary.

It is a huge relief to have them out. After we left the hospital, Lori and I went out for sushi. It felt great to feel comfortable enough to go into a restaurant again.

So, I still have a little more recovery time to get the range of motion back in my arms and such, but another big hurdle is behind me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter