Taming the Savage Breast

"The future is not some place we are going, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made. And the activity of making them changes both the maker and their destination."
John Schaar

Monday, August 21, 2006

Checking in

The purpose of this post is just to check in and let everyone know I'm still doing well and still working on recovery.

I'm still experiencing some discomfort, but I seem to be doing a little better each day. I feel constant pressure in the areas of my surgery. It's weird; sometimes it feels like something outside of myself that, if I could just take it off, would relieve the discomfort. Of course, this isn't possible, so I'm just looking forward to the day when it subsides.

I'm still sleeping in my recliner. I am longing to return to my bed, but I'm not yet able to sleep on my side. And sleeping on my back on a flat surface for an entire night would be rough on my back. My recliner gives my back the support it needs, but I'm running out of comfort options. I keep testing how long I can lay on my side. A couple of days ago, I was so sick of my recliner that I laid on my side on my couch for a bit.

I couldn't lay all the way on my side and I started getting sore after about 20 minutes, but it felt so good to get into a different position! I can't wait to sleep in my bed again. I'm hoping it will be possible by the end of this week. I'll keep you posted.

I haven't driven yet, but will give that a shot sometime this week. I feel like I have enough range of motion in my arms that I will be able to drive without any problems. However, I'm not sure how comfortable the seat belt will be across my chest. I'm also not sure how I will handle sudden motions (like if I had to slam on my brakes because someone suddenly caught me off in traffic). That all has me a bit nervous, but I need to drive if I'm going to return to work next week.

Yep. As of now, I'm planning to return to work next week. My original plan was to return this week, but I'm just not ready yet. I'm still healing, and I'm still feeling enough discomfort that I couldn't imagine having to sit at a desk all day. Next week.

Today, my thoughts are going out to someone for whom I care a great deal that is dealing with his own cancer issues. I've gotten so much good energy and positive vibes from all of you that I'm going to send some of it his way.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelly O said...

Tonua,
I have been reading your blog and want you to know that I have had you in my prayers and thoughts and will continue to do so.
One sleeping/lying idea - one thing you might want to try is to put some pillows at the back of your sofa, so that you are lying down at more of a 45 degree angle rather than on your side or back. It has been a blessing for me during my 2nd pregnancy since I can't sleep on my back and my belly is too big for direct side sleeping.
Just wanted to let you know that more people are thinking about you and pulling for you than might actually let you know.
Miss talking with you.
Kelly Ostroski

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tonua,

Keep getting better! Heal up, and gather your strength. We miss you at the office, and we're all thinking of you. Be blessed!

-Brian Penney

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter