Taming the Savage Breast

"The future is not some place we are going, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made. And the activity of making them changes both the maker and their destination."
John Schaar

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Nip it in the Bud

I know it's been a while since I've posted anything to this site since I've made my full recovery, but I'm having some outpatient surgery coming up and thought I would share.

When they did my reconstructive surgery back in January, they didn't give me any nipples or pigmentation. That comes after you've recovered fully from the surgery. So, for the last few months, I've somewhat resembled a department store mannequin.

But on June 12, I'm having outpatient surgery to create the nipples. This is quick procedure and shouldn't take longer than an hour. I'll be awake and chatting with my doctor for the whole thing. I'll receive a local anesthetic. The surgery is basically going to be him twisting a little patch of skin and stitching it together to form each nipple.

Basically, I think it will be like getting stitches when you have a deep cut... except without the initial pain of the cut. After a couple of weeks, I'll have the stitches removed and... wa-la... nipples.

Once that has healed completely, then I'll go back in and get the pigmentation tattooed on. Once everything heals, my breasts will look (and feel) completely natural except for the scars. The scars are going to take a while to go away, but in time, they will fade too.

I recently met with my plastic surgeon to schedule the surgery and he hadn't seen me in a couple of months. It's always good when a man lights up upon seeing your breasts. In his case, though, he was lit up with pride at the superb job he did on my breasts. And, that felt pretty good too. Because when your doctor is known as "The Breast Man" at the hospital for which he works and he's excited about what a good job he did on your breasts... well, that's a very good thing indeed.

I am also excited. I'm very happy with new, healthy body. Not only is it cancer-free, but I now have a flat tummy and two perky breasts. Life is good. :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl!

Greta and the Myers gang

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter