Taming the Savage Breast

"The future is not some place we are going, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made. And the activity of making them changes both the maker and their destination."
John Schaar

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

New Development

There's been a slightly new development in my current situation that I want to share.

Sometime in the last couple of weeks, I started experiencing a strange speech problem. The best way I know how to describe it is that it's like when you've had a couple of drinks, your tongue starts feeling "fat," and you have problems saying certains words or combinations of words as a result. It comes off sounding a bit slurred. Well, that's the problem I've been experiencing... without drinking.

It's really been bothering me, and I meant to bring it up to my oncologist when I met with him last week. But we had so much to talk about with my chemotherapy treatment that it slipped my mind. However, I met with my radiation oncologist today to follow-up on how I'm doing since completing radiation, and I mentioned it to him.

He asked me a few questions about other possible symptoms and did a brief, simple neurological test on me. Based on that, neurologically speaking, I seem to be doing fine. I passed all the tests (follow my finger without moving your chin, etc.), but as a special precaution, he ordered an MRI for me.

Most likely, this is a side effect of the chemotherapy. I recently read an article that said chemo can affect you for several months after you stop treatment. However, I don't have any of the other symptoms of "chemo brain," which include short-term memory loss and difficulty in focusing and concentration. He's not overly concerned, but we definitely want to rule out something more serious.

So, my MRI is scheduled for Saturday, and I should have the results sometime next week.

The thing I find so interesting about this is that when I first noticed an issue with my breast (that eventually led to my diagnosis), it took about three weeks to get a result. They did schedule a mammography within a week, but then I had to come back a week later to get an ultrasound, and then I was scheduled for a biopsy a week after that. With the brain, they got me in within three days, and I should have my result within a week of when I brought it up.

So, when it's your brain, they don't mess around. And, for that, I am grateful.

I'll admit to being a little scared. The reason I'm scared isn't because I think it's something bad. Actually, I really do think it's most likely a side effect of the chemo. However, I'm back in the not knowing stage again. And that is, by far, the scariest part of this whole process. The worst part is not knowing what's going on and having to wait for an answer. And, that's where I am now.

I forgot what that feels like. I felt it when I first started down this road last March. However, last March, even as I was going through the process hoping they would find nothing, I pretty much knew what they would find. This time, even though I'm kind of scared about the whole thing, I'm just not as concerned. I feel like there's a really good chance that this is nothing but a side effect of my chemotherapy treatment.

As always, I'll keep you up-to-date, but I won't have any news to share before the middle of next week.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that it's almost certainly the impact of chemo and temporary... impact on the implant in your brain that the aliens from Felinia (the cat planet) clearly gave you years ago. What else could explain your love and tolerance of Wesser? hehe. -dave

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter