Taming the Savage Breast

"The future is not some place we are going, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made. And the activity of making them changes both the maker and their destination."
John Schaar

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Upcoming Appointments

This is a list of the upcoming appointments that I know about. Right now, I only have two chemo sessions scheduled. I should know more tomorrow about when the others will be, and how often I'll be following up with my doctor. I'll post more appointments as I get them.

Wednesday, April 5, 10:00 AM - 2:00/3:oo PM

First Chemotherapy Session
Right now, I really don't know what to expect from chemo. I don't know how long it will take, but based on what I've heard from others who have been through it, it will probably take 3-4 hours. I have to be there at 10:00 and they start at 11:00. I expect this is because of the first-time paperwork that I've had to do everywhere else. I don't know if I'll be in a private room, or if I'll be in a big room with a lot of other people who are doing this too. I don't know if I can have multiple people with me or not, so this first time I'm asking people not to stop by the hospital. If you want to call me and see how I'm doing, feel free to do so. If I'm tired and decide to go to bed early, I'll just turn off my phone... so you don't need to worry about disturbing me. :)

My sister is driving from Niles (Michigan) to do this with me, so no need for volunteers.

Updated: Thursday, April 6, after 2:00/3:00 (or anytime Friday, April 7)

After speaking with the staff at the cancer care center yesterday, I learned that it's fine to combine my nuelasta shot with my echocardiogram Friday.

Friday, April 7, 12:45 - 2:00 PM

Echocardiogram
High-dosages of the chemotherapy (over 450) can potentially do heart damage. We won't be exceeding 300 in my sessions, but my doctor plans to monitor my heart anyway. This appointment is to determine my starting place... a control, if you will. I think I can probably have my nuelasta shot while I'm at the hospital for this. I'm guessing on the duration, but I think it probably won't take more than an hour or so, even with the shot.

Nuelasta Shot
Due to the accelerated frequency of chemotherapy sessions, I need this shot to keep my white cell count stable. I have to wait at least 24 hours after the conclusion of my chemotherapy session. Apparently, I can do this anytime of the day; I just need to show up. Most likely, I will combine this with my echocardiogram appointment on Friday.

Update: Katia has volunteered to accompany me on Friday for my echo and shot.

Friday, April 14, 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM

Bone scan & CAT scan
These tests are to determine two things: staging and hereditary factors. This will determine whether the cancer has spread beyond my breast, which will tell them what stage I'm in. They are also testing to determine if I carry one of the hereditary breast cancer genes (BRCA1 or 2). That determine whether I have an increased risk that I might get this in the other breast too. If I do carry it, my doctor strong suggests I have a bilateral masectomy when I go in for surgery... but we already know that I'm probably doing that anyway, regardless of the outcome of the tests.

Update: Mike is coming up to do this with me and to hang out for the weekend (or at least part of it). Yay!!

Thursday, April 20, 9:00 AM - 1:30 PM

Bloodwork & chemotherapy
I start this day by getting bloodwork. This is so they can monitor my chemotherapy levels and make adjustments as they go. So, I do that first, so that they have the results by the time the start the chemo drip.

Update: Becky (Athena) is scheduled to do this day with me.

Friday, April 21, 1:30 PM (or after)

Nuelasta shot
Same deal as before... show up anytime and get the shot, as long as it has been 24 hours or more since the end of my chemo session.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tonua said...

I should have written this last night, but I think my friend that with me yesterday is doing this one with me. I'll let you know when I know for sure.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A bit off topic but does anyone want to do the detroit Race for the Cure with me. We could form a team if folks are interested.
http://www.karmanos.org/detroitraceforthecure/

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think many people walk, finishing being the goal. I normally walk such things.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter